Pages

Monday, October 31, 2016

30th October 2016 - Where to go?


I know they can sometimes be cheesy but they also can say simple things that make sense.
I'm talking about those 'thought for the day' calendars.

I saw this one a few years ago and liked the idea ..


What does "You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be" mean?

Firstly, one thing it doesn't mean is the concept that if you believe hard enough in yourself it will magically happen.
The daily mantra as you brush your teeth of 'I am the flautist which Matt Molloy dares to dream he can become!!' may have limited effect.
I really hate the Simon Cowell school of philosophy which goes along the lines of 'if you dream hard enough you can have anything'.  He's poisoned  a generation with that message and has profited handsomely doing so.

What I think it means is someone subtle akin to 'if you believe you can or can't you're right'.  In other words it is belief which primarily drives our work and ultimately our achievements.

This phrase is about permission.  Giving ourselves permission to try out a new definition of ourselves.

It would be very easy for me to say approaching 50 that I can't become proficient with the Flute.  Why bother?  etc.  I have to give myself permission to become the person who practices daily, gets better, can play in a session .. deserves to be be in that space.

Blowing notes out of a stick in front of people doesn't make sense.
But very little does.
You have to give yourself a gentle permission to believe you can be the person you want to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment