Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

25th November 2016 - Olwell 1 Month Flutiversary


I bought the Olwell one month ago.  25th October.  Here's a letter to Aaron and Pat.


Dear Aaron and Pat,

I did my semi-Ireland tour to pick up one of your keyless flutes one month ago.

Like talking badly about an old friend it feels wrong to talk about my 25 year old flute but the moment I touched the Olwell I could feel the difference.
The heaviness, stolidity, darkness of the wood.  Even though this wasn't a new flute the finish was beautiful.

I only played a few notes - the exchange was done in the front of a car in a closed, dark East Clare garage forecourt - so I had to wait until I got home to really play.

There's a weight to the flute and it almost feels like it you can hear that weight in the lower octave.  There's a solid, dark tone to the lower notes that you can feel.  I was surprised how I could feel the notes in my fingers.  It was just a lovely tone and feeling.

I wish I could say I was as happy with my playing in the higher octave.  My old flute hadn't a great tone (a windy bottle top comes to mind) but it was forgiving.  The new flute wanted precision and wouldn't forgive anything else.  My g' squeaked and complained at my weak embouchure.  I realised I'd work to do.

In the past month there hasn't been a day when I picked up the flute and played that I didn't have a little 'that's mine!' moment when I opened the case.  Practice hasn't always been easy but it has always been rewarding and as the month has progressed the g' has been telling me off a little less each week.

It's a beautiful instrument.  Thank you for taking the time to learn and practice your craft.  Thanks for my flute.  I wasn't sure about buying it before getting the keyed on order but it was definitely the right decision for improving my tone - I don't think I'll have the work to do again on my embouchure for the keyed.  Also I have the pleasure of playing this until 2019.

Hope you're all keeping well in Virginia - happy playing, happy making.

Regards

Neil



No comments:

Post a Comment